[bct] Re: more thoughts on hearing

  • From: Pam Quinn <quinn.family@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 18:58:37 -0600

Nothing supernatural about it. Your beliefs are debatable and I don't
intend to debate them as people who have strong opinions aren't likely
to change them. Sound reflection detection doesn't give information
about what an object is, merely that something is there as well as the
size of it in general It's a sonar ability, much like that which bats
use. In a pinch, if I've crossed a street at an angle, I can stamp my
foot and "hear" where the curb is for example, if it's an upright
curb. Those who can do this know what I'm talking about, and those who
can't, won't.
If I'm walking along and there is a tree in my path, I can walk around
it without running into it. I wouldn't be able to tell you it was a
tree though, unless I reached out and touched it first. I'm sure
Maria, from what she said, knows what I'm talking about and many
others would as well. As I said, nothing supernatural about it; it's a
very natural ability and one that I find very useful. As far as
information regarding our neurons being rewired to other senses,
Doctor Jan, well respected in his field proposed that theory. Makes
sense to me.