[bct] Re: more thoughts on hearing

  • From: "J Garcia" <j.garcia235@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 16:32:36 -0800

Your definition of object perception is not complete and sounds inaccurate.
That is, its your an interpretation and not necessarily most scholar's
definition. Object perception is still a notion debated such as the debate
of what intelligence is. Most think they know what intelligence is but with
more and more information they will find they are tearing apart their
argument without realizing it. Every school of psychology will probably
define object perception differently. For those who care, object perception
is, in some circles, observing an object/stimulus and trying to determine
what it is. it is not just a visual phenomenon; this also includes light,
odors, sensations, and tastes. For example, you can look at a globe shaped
object and never really know that its a baseball, basketball, golf ball, or
globe of the earth--by the way, the planet earth is actually more pumpkin
shaped than perfectly round. Most people will look at a football and know
exactly what the object is. On the other hand, for those in the UK a
football elicits a very different mental picture than a football here in the
US, which supports object perception's argument of problems with defining
it.

Sighted people use many different features to try to process a percept. They
tilt their heads, squint, look at the shape, they compare it to its
surroundings, as well as processing color, and they compare the object to
information stored in memory. They finally conclude, round, rubbery,
malleable, string, its a balloon? This is very simplistic but I think I'm
conveying the idea.

Regarding blind people's imaginary super senses and object perception, this
does not exist whatsoever. blind people more than likely use a similar
manner of perceiving auditory stimuli as those using sight. That is, we
compare the sound to what we already know, this elicits memories and we
formulate a mental picture or generate a representation of the object--we
know what it is. Like I've stated in a previous message, blind people are
more consciously and subconsciously listening for more auditory information
to create perception of the audio stimulus. We don't possess any magical
mystical powers that make us see things we can't possibly see, things we
can't possibly hear, or contact the dead. We're just like all other normal
human beings with a great deal of exercise in, disassembling, reassembling,
and finally, recognizing an auditory stimulus. I realize believing in
ghosts, guardian angels, oras, past life regressions, and being Napoleon in
another life are more fun, but they dont exist and only serve to retard our
human psychological and social evolution.

Hope I'm not stepping on anyone's toes, just trying to prevent supernatural
explanations of what has already been semi if not completely explained
scientifically.

J Garcia