[bct] Re: more thoughts on hearing

  • From: "Maria L" <raynbo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 16:59:28 -0600

I feel a bit odd telling people that blind people don't have super senses, like the common stereotype says, and then turn around and have to try to explain object perception.
For those of you who might not have heard of object perception, the best way I can explain is that some people can hear shadows of objects and people around them in varying degrees of acuteness. I guess that's the word. I've never heard sighted people talk about this experience, although I'm sure some people must have it and just attribute it to danger or something. But it's very hard to explainand in explaining it I feel like I'm contradicting everything I just finished saying about super senses. lol
I've heard of some blind people not having this and am kind of curious if a minority do have it or if the minority don't have it and what could cause it. I've tried to do research on it but haven't found a lot except really technical reports by audiologists that I don't understand.
Just my thoughts.
Maria L