[bct] Re: more thoughts on hearing

  • From: "Bill Belew" <bill@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 14:08:29 -0800

I too like Neal's story.  One of my favorite memories of when my kids were
in grade school is of the times that I spoke to young kids about being
blind.  I would take gadgets and Braille and my guide dog and speak for a
while about those things before entertaining questions.  It was so much fun
to have five and six and seven year olds ask exactly what they were curious
about.  It was usually easy to get the teacher to relax about what they
asked and there usually weren't more than one or two parents in the class to
worry about it.  Kids would ask things like "how do you dress yourself?' or
"Do you see black?" or "How do you find your mouth to eat?".  Without
worried and embarrassed parents around to interfere, I had great fun joking
around with the kids and eventually enlightening them to something about
what it is like to be blind.

I still run into teenagers and folks in their early twenties who stop me and
tell me how much they enjoyed those sessions.  I should probably get back to
doing more of that.

Bill