[bct] Re: more on hybrid cars

  • From: "Reed Poynter" <Reed.Poynter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 May 2006 09:30:41 -0700

Hi Neal,

I'm not sure that these silent phantoms pose any more of a threat than the
gas guzzlers.  When I'm travelling in a crowded downtown street, I think,
that I most often find it very difficult to distinguish the sound of an
individual vehicle from the overall noise.  With noisy trucks, buses and
motor cycles, echoing off of the surrounding buildings, with the overall
noise level being so high relative to the sound of an individual vehicle,
you very often can't hear an individual car coming towards you.  I am not
sure that it would make any difference if it is a conventional car or one of
these silent phantoms.

Might it be the case that as we have more of these hybrids (including
trucks, buses and motor cycles), the overall noise level will fall and the
sound of these cars relative to the overall noise level will be the same as
the gas guzzler is relative to the overall noise level today.

In Vancouver, B.C., some of the buses are electric.  I can remember years
ago (when I was young and invincible), hitchHiking on a downtown street.  I
was standing on the edge of the sidewalk with my right hand sticking out,
thumb wagging and one of these buses flew past and hit my hand.  It didn't
hurt too much.  But, I had to go home to change my pants.

Having been clipped by one, I'm more concerned about bicycles.  I think we
have to pass a law that requires bike riders to whistle as they ride.  I'm
not sure what we can do about those who whistle off tune.

Our first 2 kids have grown and left home and the third will be soon on his
way.  So, we'll be abandoning the old van and looking for something smaller.
My wife thinks that she'd seriously consider a hybrid.  I guess I'll have to
teach her to whistle too.

I really enjoyed your podcast on the subject.

Reed