[bct] Re: more on hybrid cars

  • From: The Scarlet Wombat <coconut@xxxxxxx>
  • To: blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 09 May 2006 10:52:47 -0400

A doppler effect receiver could work in this regard. It could sense approaching speed and distance based on signal strength. Obviously, there would have to be a standard adopted by all auto manufacturers so the information was uniformly transmitted to the blind person, but a doppler effect receiver coupled to a vibrating transducer on a cane handle so they got direction, velocity and rate of change info would work until several cars were coming within range of the transmitter, the signals would then be very confusered.

If each car had a unique digital code being transmitted. a small receiver could potentially diferentiate and give you the most important info first, such as the closest car or the one travelling fastest. The technology exists for all this, it remains to see if the will exists to make it happen.

At 09:19 AM 5/9/2006 -0500, you wrote:
Dan, you're right.  a Geiger counter orgy.  OK, get out your microphones
folks, or Dan will record this first with his very expensive microphone.

The sound of one or two cars would be easily enough dealt with in this
way, but I think Dan is right.  At some point, if the beeps all sound
alike, we are in trouble.  And, even if each manufacturer had different
beeping sounds, that would still not be enough.

This is where the person with a dog may be better off than the cane

Ok, thinking off the top of my head as I write, what about having a
sensor in one's cane that would give either sounds or directional
vibrations based on where the cars with these transmitters are.  Yes, if
there is more than one car, it would be difficult, but if the
transmitters only notified you of cars at a particular distance from
you, you would only have to worry about the ones your cane was picking
up at the moment.  Not fool proof, by any means, and I wouldn't want to
be in the middle of the street when the battery in my cane decided to