[bct] Re: microphones, & E-magazine

  • From: "Mike Justice" <m.d.justice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2006 10:50:44 -0500

I am in my second year of an Internet subscription to "Smart Computing" magazine (which actually provides Internet access to 4 magazines), and the annual subscription price is only $17. I found out about the www.SmartComputing.com web site by first subscribing to the cassette version of the magazine through my regional library. The web site is very speech accessible for reading each monthly issue, and for performing various searches of current and past issues of all four Sandhill Publishing magazines. I usually transfer copies of articles for more convenient reading on my Bookport. In addition, a daily Email
service is available at no extra cost, with an excerpt shown below.

Mike Justice,

Coffee & Newspaper Smart Computing
Daily Information For Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Daily Tip:
Choosing The Right Microphone

In order to choose the right microphone for your computer, you need to
understand a bit about the recording process. When you speak into a computer
microphone, the analog sound waves must be converted to digital data. If you have a
microphone that connects to your computer's sound card, the
analog-to-digital conversion
takes place inside your computer. If you have a USB microphone, the
analog-to-digital conversion takes place outside of your computer. You may
not be aware of this, but the inside of your computer is quite noisy. We're not talking
about the incessant noise that your CPU fan makes or the screeching noise
that your CD drive makes as it spins; we're talking about electrical noise
generated by your computer's power supply, CPU, hard drive(s), optical
drive(s), and other internal components. This noise can affect the quality of your
recording if the analog-to-digital conversion is performed inside your
computer because some of that transient electrical noise comes along for the ride.
Thus, a USB microphone generates higher-quality recordings than a similar
quality microphone that attaches to your computer's sound card.

Daily Term:
Transmission Control Protocol / Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)

Developed by the U.S. Department of Defense, TCP/IP is a language governing
communication among all computers on the Internet. TCP/IP is two separate
TCP and IP, that are used together. The Internet Protocol portion of the
standard dictates how packets of information are sent out over networks. IP
a packet-addressing method that lets any computer on the Internet forward a
packet to another computer that is a step (or more) closer to the packet's
The Transmission Control Protocol ensures the reliability of data
transmissions across Internet-connected networks. TCP checks packets for
errors and submits
requests for retransmissions if errors are found; it also will return the
multiple packets of a message into the proper, original sequence when the
reaches its destination.