[bct] Re: medical and Braille transcription courses

  • From: Pam Quinn <quinn.family@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 09 May 2006 19:59:23 -0500

I know what you mean. Being a life long braille reader I tested out of
beginning braille in college and went right on to take advanced
braille as part of my certification to teach it. I thought it would be
a piece of cake, but it really wasn't, with all of the signs in
advanced math and chemistry, braille music and such. Plus the grading
was really tough. One mistake an A, two a B, etc. At that time there
was an attempt to discourage braille use with more emphasis placed on
large print and magnification devices whenever possible, and their
methods of teaching it did just that with a lot of sighted teachers. I
saw a lot of teachers going into it with a very enthusiastic attitude
about braille, only to come out of it not wanting to teach it.

Pam