[bct] Re: jfw question

  • From: "Darren Duff" <dduff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 06:40:43 -0500

Maybe this will help?... If you still need help and wouldlike to call me
or have me call you send an E-mail to dduff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx if you live
it the states and I will try to help more.

Windows XP and JAWS
This topic discusses settings changes we recommend you make when using
in Windows XP Home or Professional. You must be logged in with
administrative rights to make several of these changes.

Many of these settings are changed within Control Panel. To open Control
Panel, press the WINDOWS KEY to open the Start Menu, move to Control
and press ENTER. Depending on your system settings, Control Panel either
opens in a separate window, or the Control Panel items open as a

We recommend making changes in the following areas:

a. Display Properties
b. Folder Options
c. Start Menu
d. Windows Explorer
e. System Performance
Display Properties
1. From the Control Panel, move to "Display" and press Enter.
2. From the themes combo box, select Windows XP.
3. In the List of backgrounds on the Desktop page, choose Bliss.
4. Set Position to "Stretch."
5. In the Screen Saver combo box on the Screen Saver page, press HOME to
select none.
6. On the Appearance page, set Windows and Buttons to Windows classic
7. Set Color Scheme to Windows Standard.
8. Set Font to normal.
9. Close the dialog.
Note: After making these changes, the Display page Themes combo box says
"Modified Theme."

Folder Options
1. From the Control Panel, press ALT+T to go to the Tools menu.
2. Press O for Folder Options.
3. From the Tasks radio button group, select Use Windows Classic
4. (Optional):
1. On the View page, move to the Advanced Settings tree view.
2. Clear the Hide Extensions For Known File Types check box.
3. If you also use screen magnification software, clear the Show pop-up
description for folder and desktop items check box. Pop up descriptions
often hides the menu item just below any given menu item, making it
impossible to visually see the next item in the menu list.
4. Move to the Apply to All Folders button and press SPACEBAR.
5. Select Yes in the dialog that opens to acknowledge this change.
5. Move to the OK button in the Folder Options dialog box and press
SPACEBAR to close this dialog box.
Start Menu
1. From Control Panel, Move to Taskbar and Start menu and press ENTER.
2. From the Taskbar page, press ALT+G to move to and uncheck Group
Similar Taskbar Buttons.
3. Press ALT+H to move to and uncheck the check box for Hide inactive
4. Press CTRL+TAB to move to the Start Menu page.
5. Select Classic start menu.
6. Press ENTER to close this dialog box.
Windows Explorer
1. Press WINDOWS KEY+E to open Windows Explorer.
2. Press ALT+V to open the View menu.
3. Select "Arrange Icons by" and press ENTER to open the submenu.
4. Move to the menu item "Name" to arrange by Name, and Press ENTER to
select this and close the menus.
5. Repeat steps 2 and 3, and move to the item "Show in Groups." If it is
checked, press ENTER to uncheck it and close the menus.
6. Press ALT+T to open the Tools menu.
7. Press O to open the Folder Options Dialog.
8. Press CTRL+TAB to move to the View page.
9. Press SPACEBAR to activate the "Apply to all folders" button, and
press SPACEBAR on the YES button to acknowledge this change.
10. Move to the OK button and press SPACEBAR to close this dialog box.
System Performance
1. From the Control Panel, move to System and press ENTER to open the
System Properties Dialog.
2. Press CTRL+TAB to move to the Advanced page.
3. Press ALT+S to activate the Performance Settings button. The
Performance Options Dialog opens.
4. Clear the following check boxes:
a. Animate Windows when Minimizing and Maximizing.
b. Slide open Combo Boxes.
c. Smooth-scroll List Boxes.
d. Use Visual Styles on Windows and Buttons.
5. Press ENTER to close the Performance Options dialog and return to the
System Properties dialog box.
6. Press ENTER to activate the OK button and close the System Properties
dialog box.

Darren Duff

Assistive Technology Instructor

Phone 770-432-7280       800-726-7406     Fax: 770-432-5457

Visit our Web site at