[bct] Re: interview with Michael Moody of NLS

  • From: Chris Skarstad <toonhead5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 02:10:25 -0600

Wow, the science fiction fan in me is going crazy!!
Really though, getting back to Ed though, I think if someone got on the phone with him, and talked to him for a while and could show him a practical demonstration of what Podcasting could do he could maybe understand it. Not the mechanics of it mind you, but the thought process. He would still be able to make the same amount of money, if not more. and for the fans to be able to pay a subscription price and have the ability to download all the back issues of Playback and the underground or have them sent to them on a box set of cds in mp3 format would be absolutely wonderful!! Hell, I'd pay for that privelage.
But what we gotta do first is talk to him in a language he understands, and that's in braille and a tape recorder.
The person who would do this has to be able to show him what podcasting can do, and I think some of Lary's casts on the walk home would be great. Ed may not understand all the issues being talked about, but it'd be a start.

At 11:49 PM 3/21/2006, you wrote:
I second the thoughts that Playback would make a marvelous podcast.

Gosh, I believe I still have issues back to number one! I'm using an old
punch-card cabinet to store them. My husband jokes we spent enough with
Playback marketing that we personally paid for Miss Sue's trip to Europe!

Ed never got in to computers and the internet  because nobody was around at
the right time to enthuse about it while showing him the basics and because,
access tech was so crummy in the beginning, that he was indeed faster using
a Braille card file than a computer.

Doesn't it make you think though about yourself, maybe three decades from
now and what kind of technology you'll resist. I often day-dream about
writing a science fiction story that explores this theme: it's the year
twenty-thirty-five  and we're struggling to use some machine that is so
basic that all young people depend on it. But even though the technology is
accessible; disability isn't a barrier, we're just unable to wrap our minds
around its overwhelming foreignness. Perhaps it will be something like
nanotech, perhaps Ray Kurzweil's cingularity will occur but we won't care
because it will be part of us. or maybe everyone will regularly make AI
duplicates of themselves that go to meetings and perform routine chores so
the actual flesh-and-blood people are free for the really important things.
Can you imagine yourself feeling uncomfortable if you don't know whether you
are conversing with your real grand-son or just an artificial intelligence
that emulates him. Can you imagine your real grand-son laughing at you for
being so old-fashioned that you find the concept disconcerting. "Pops,"
he'll say, "All the clones are based on me, and they are artificial so why
are you worried?"