[bct] Re: hooking up soundcard to home stereo

  • From: "Jeff Armstrong" <jeffarmstrong1380@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2006 13:42:36 -0600

Corey,

    Does your computer have a digital coaxial out jack?  And, if so, does your
receiver have a digital coaxial input jack?  If all this is true, run a cord
from one to the other and do whatever setup on your receiver it takes to make
sure the coaxial digital jack is enabled and then just adjust your surround
settings for that input source on your receiver.  In my case, I use a Sony 4/es
receiver.  I have the output from the SB-live/external's coaxial digital out
running to the CD-in-coaxial on my receiver.  You would need to make sure that
the input you use allows for surround and so on..  The cable I'm using is a
simple phono or RCA plug on each end and I have run it down into my basement
where I already had other items running and up into the room with the receiver.
 I had the holes drilled already to bring my satellite into the satellite
reciever.  The digital signal could also be sent via an optical digital cable
which are more expensive and must be very carefully run to avoid crimping or
kinking as some call it since they are a hollow tube which transmits light
signals and any distorting of this tube will cause less than great results.
The optical thing is best if the computer and receiver are close together.
Barring any of those options, one could just use an adapter to convert the
analog output from 1/8 inch stereo to dual phono plugs but this is a much less
desireable method since it transmits a signal which has already been put
through the digital to analog conversion and is in a stereo format.  The
digital route will allow your receiver's superior d/a converter to do this for
you and much closer to the analog speaker output.  I think the closer to the
actual analog output you do the conversion the better the output quality.
Also, using an analog signal between the two machines calls for you to worry
about the signal amplification because your receiver expects a signal with
certain voltage and amperage.  It should be that easy.

Jeff Armstrong