[bct] Re: hijacked

  • From: "Walt Smith" <walt@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Blind Cool Tech List" <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 10:15:48 -0400

Here's the message that I thought I remembered. Note all use of upper and
lower case in the names of the registry entries and _always_ remember to
back up your registry before editing in case of problems:

Internet Explorer - Prevent Changing of Home Page
by Vic Ferri

Is there some way by the registry where I can prevent my children from
continously changing our set home page in Internet Explorer. They know that
it can be done by dragging a page icon to the home button and also by going
to Internet Options so I am hoping  there is a way to prevent both methods
from being used by some registry edit because the registry is one area they
don't know about whatsoever.  I am using IE 6 and Windows XP Home edition.

This is a frequently asked question and the answer is Yes. Both methods of
changing the Internet Explorer home page can be disabled with a simple
registry edit.

First, close all IE Windows.

Then click  Start>Run and type regedit. Click OK and  navigate to this key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control

In the right hand pane, right click a blank area and choose New>DWORD value

Name it  HomePage

Double click it and assign it a Value data of 1

Exit the registry and then test the result by opening IE and trying to
change your home page. You should not be able to. If you try to drag a page
icon to the Home button, a circle with an X will appear indicating the move
isn't possible. If you click Tools>Internet Options>General tab, you will
see that the home page entry and associated buttons to make changes are
greyed out,

To re-enable the ability to change your home page, just change the registry
value from 1 to 0. If all the keys are not present under the Policies key
you can create them.  For example if all you have is

you would right click the Polices key and choose New Key and name it
Microsoft Then under Microsoft, you would create another key named Internet
Explorer and then under Internet Explorer you would create a third key named
Control Panel so that if you copied the key name you wouild end up with:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control

The location of the home page entry in the registry is at this key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main

The string value Start Page in the right hand side contains the url of your
home page. This is handy to know in the event that your home page is changed
through the registry. If that were to happen while you have the changing of
your home page disabled, the new url entered  would take over and it would
then become that page that you cannot change in the normal way.