[bct] Re: hearing loss

  • From: "Curt" <catucker24@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 08:36:36 -0600

Hi Mary,

Sounds like you have great mobility skills.  Some of those busy
intersections are dangerous for sighted persons too.
Have you ever thought of getting a dog guide?  A dog can be a big help
when crossing a street especially those with rounded curbs and diagonal
crossings.  When I got my last dog in March of 2004 there was a lady in
the class who had previously had a dog guide but this time she was now
also deaf.  The dog was trained to not cross the street until the
traffic had stopped and the crossing area was clear, the dog made the
decision  of when to cross not the lady. Other dog guides are trained to
wait for the handler to give the command to cross the street and will
use, "intelligent disobedience", and not cross if there is traffic in
the way and will even stop or walk backwards if a auto unexpectedly
crosses your path.  Of course you still need good mobility skillsto
navigate with the dog.
I know not everyone wants a dog but it is an alternative      for a
choice of mobility aid for some of us.
Curt & Fabulous Faith the Fluffy Furry dog guide