[bct] Re: hearing loss

  • From: "Curt" <catucker24@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 17:27:56 -0600

Marsha you are 100% correct.   Years ago dog guide schools required
students to be able to walkseveral miles and be in a specific age range
but this is no longer true.  I think that the ADA played a part in the
changes.  I know that Guide Dogs of the Desert   was one of the first to
train people with multiple disabilities and senior citizensand now many
of the schools will work with  persons with other disabilities in
addition to blindness.  And I know two women who each have a two year
old Lab that is so laid back you would think it is an old dog ready to
retire, but these ladies don't do much walking and the school knew that
when the dog was issued. With the aging population in the U. S.  there
are more seniors who decide to get a dog.  Once again, a dog is not for
everyone, it is a personal choice.
Curt