[bct] Re: health: holistic, all-inclusive, synergistic??

  • From: Slythy_Tove <mcg907@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 08:10:01 -0800 (PST)

Hi Mike,

That is a pretty impressive list of things to be included in a holistic
discussion, although I admit Christian perplxed me as there were not other
religions included - Hinduism, Buddhism, Paganism, etc.  I figured you ran out
of room and time. (smile)

One thing I am pleased to see Western medicine start to do is abandon the
"doctor as god" and "patient as idiot" stance as well as the training of some
new physicians to see the patient as an integrated person and not just a cold
sore or a broken tibia.  I am not a high blood glucose, I am a person who has a
disorder which results in high glucose, but I am also "me."

When I was a child and developed warts on my fingers my mother used the healing
tradition of her mother and rubbed an egg on my fingers.  She then buried the
egg in the ground with me watching and told me when the egg started to rot the
warts would start to rot and then they would fall off.  The long and the short
of that story is that's exactly what happened.  I was unhappy when my daughter
subjected my granddaughter painful burns to remove warts because I believed we
should have tried the same method.  Whether it is belief that does it (mind
over body is a powerful thing) or whether there is a chemcial in the egg shell
that helps, it would not have hurt to try.  However, when I had a plantar wart
I did not try as it went in, not out, and I just didn't think there would be
enough surface area exposed as there are on outward facing warts.  If I ever
get another, I will try the egg method, although I hope that does not come to

I remember when a mental health director friend of mine in Anchorage had a
sister who was undergoing cancer treatment for stage 4 breast cancer.  Jan
offered to start a weekly session for all the women in the cancer treatment
center and she offered relaxation therapy, gentle music, spiritual discussions
(not religious ones) and visualization techniques to help the women see their
bodies overcoming cancer.  The woman who participated lived far longer and
healthier lives than the women who either did not chose to attend or who
dropped out because the rejected what the program had to offer - or at least
that is what the cancer treatment center reported.  It made such a difference
that her volunteer work became a regular program for cancer patients.  I notice
there are now cancer treatment centers that feature such mind over body,
spirituality enhancing adjuncts to various cancer treatment.

There is a book called The Holographic Universe by Michael Talbot - and older
but fascinating book about the physics theories of  Bohm and Pribram regarding
the existence of a holographic universe and in one case from it there was a man
who had end stage bone cancer.  His doctor was given a new drug and told the
man that this could cure him.  It did.  Total cure - bone cancer all gone - new
bone built.  Then it was announced that the drug did not work.  The doctor told
the man to ignore that, because it did work for him.  All was for naught,
though, as the man gave up hope, the cancer returned worse than ever and he
died.  To quote the bard, there are more things in heaven an Earth, Horatio,
than are dreampt of in your philosophy.

What amazing things exist in this universe - black holes and exploding suns,
life that lives in the frigid dark and high compression at the bottom of oceans
near smoking vents that spew smoke and are hundreds of degrees hot in those
tiny areas.  We have life that glows, is flat, is round, flies, walks, crawls,
scampers and runs.  Toads can poison you, snakes that look poisonous are not
and the bacteria in and on your body is largely there to help, not to harm.

What helps one person may seriously harm another.  Medicine, at whatever stage
of evolution - can cause terrible harm or can work seeming miracles.  Dr. Weil
finds cranial therapy (pressure on the skull) helpful for some people - didn't
do a thing for me.  Physical therapy and occupational therapy cause me terrible
pain and debilitate me, but acupuncture and chiropractic work very well for me.
 I do far better getting "the point" than I do seeing the Marquis de Sade of
physical therapists.

Asprin can thin your blood and help prevent a heart attack or it can cause
internal bleeding and you can die of a stroke.  What is sauce for the goose is
not sauce for the gander, it seems.

I am concerned that, these days, people who need to lose 50 pounds will go
under the knife rather than restrict calories and walk.  We have a relative by
marriage who just did this and everyone is wondering if she  has lost her mind.
 I have a serious weight problem caused by being coerced into low-fat/high carb
dieting about 20 years ago and I've considered weight loss surgery, but I feel
that running to a surgeon to hack up your stomach and bowels may not be the
best thing.  In fact, I have a friend who is very ill from complications of
weight loss surgery and they won't reverse it because it is not (yet) life
threatening.  We don't hear about the ones where people either die from them
(lots of diabetics die from infections after such surgeries) or have to have
them reversed because of life endangering complications.

So, here I am, struggling with intake and exercise and one month plus of hard
work has netted me 5 pounds of weight loss.  Still, it seems to me that the
answer is not, unless I weighed 800 pounds or something, to run off and get
hacked up and develop osteoporosis from my nutritional deficiences caused by
surgically created starvation.

I think that we are moving in the right direction, but we have not gotten there
yet, in terms of holistic medicine.

holistically yours,