[bct] Re: hard drive network enclosures

  • From: Steve Matzura <number6@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 04:40:40 -0400

On Thu, 25 May 2006 16:23:57 -0500, you wrote:

>Just wondering if anyone has bought or heard good things about any network
>attached hard drive enclosures.  I need to build a new external hard drive
>and I figured I should go all out and get a network attached drive.  I have
>found a few but not sure if anyone has delt with any good or bad ones yet.

I'm very happy with the Netgear SC101.  The assembly is quite
blind-user-doable--just slide the drives into the cabinet and plug in
the plugs, pop the front back on, and you're done.  The software
install is the usual thing, and once it's done, you've got access to
the cabinet and can configure its contents however you like--RAID 0 or
RAID 1, or no RAID at all, but two separate drives.  I'm using
striping--can't ever remember which RAID level that is--to get the
largest possible storage out of the two physical disks.