[bct] good uhf/vhf antenna?

  • From: "Missy Hoppe" <melissah@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Blind Cool Tech" <BlindCoolTech@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 08:29:19 -0400

Hi, all. I'm posting this one to both e-mail addresses for the list, so if
you get it twice, I'm really sorry. I just want to try and reach all of you
knowledgeable folks in hopes that someone will have an answer. I recently
picked up a little $10 TV for my bedroom; nothing fancy, but I wanted to
give myself the option of laying in bed to watch some of my favorite shows
on nights when I am tired.
I only have what is called lifeline cable: in other words, I pay $10 per
month for the priveledge of getting decent reception of  our local
channels. There doesn't appear to be a cable jack in my bedroom, and since
I'm in an apartment, Time Warner refuses to come out and install another
I suppose that that's understandable since I'm not exactly a high-paying
Anyway, the little $10 TV came with a set of rabbit ears, and it brings in
most of my lokal vhf stations with no trouble. However, I can't pick up any
UHF channels at all. Ideally, I'd love to find some sort of virtual cable
jack; something that perhaps could plug a miniature transmitter of some
sort into the cable jack in my living room and then be wireless until it
reaches the back of the TV in the bedroom, where there would be some sort
of little receiver that plugs into the antenna jack. Is there such a device
out there? If not, does anyone know of a good quality uhf/vhf antenna? This
little TV only has one place to plug anything into, and it's a cable jack
interface. I found an antenna on amazon.com that sounded promising, the
turk tv5, but I won't be able to afford it for a couple of weeks. It's a
low profile antenna, which would be ideal because there's slightly less
chance that the cats would want to play with it.  It has a lot of favorable
reviews, and if it works really well, I'd be highly tempted to buy 2 of
them and ditch Time Warner Cable altogether. I live in a basement level
apartment, though, and presumeably, an outdoor antenna isn't an option.
I love the TV, but at the moment, it isn't able to fully perform the
purpose for which I purchased it. Any assistance you may have in this
matter would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all very much for your time,
and I hope you're having a great day!