[bct] Re: good question

  • From: "Joni Colver" <joni.colver@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 19:31:44 -0600

Hi Jamie,

Often times it is when you least expect it that you meet that special person
you marry.  I went to Philadelphia for two weeks in July 1977 to learn to
use the Optacon at what was then Volunteer Services for the Blind.  The guy
in charge of the program asked my future-husband to come along to the
airport to help carry luggage.  Skip lived in downtown Philly so he showed
me around.  He and I went out to dinner and my two weeks in Philadelphia
ended up not being as lonely as I thought they would be.  He is partially
sighted and I am for all practical purposes nearly totally blind.  We had to
face a lot of issues and decide if we could and would deal with them, just
as Kim and Darren discussed on their podcast.  We have been extremely
fortunate in finding apartments, houses and condos within walking distance
of grocery stores and bus stops.  I have not tried online grocery shopping
yet, but, if we had a feasible option in that regard we would have a little
more freedom in our choice of housing.  We have a grocery cart like Lynnette
and Maria and do our shopping on Saturday mornings before the store gets too
busy.

It certainly is a lot easier these days to meet other blind people through
the Internet.  I went to public school and never met another blind person
until I went to a summer camp when I was probably close to junior high
school.  I think it is important to know and interact with other blind
people because we can support, encourage and sometimes inspire one another
through our shared experiences.

Don't give up on finding someone.  It might just happen when you least
expect it.  That is how it happened to me.

Joni