[bct] food

  • From: "jeff" <j1armstrong@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "blind cool tech mail list" <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 21:57:03 -0600

Hello again,

For our U.K. friends, have you ever heard of a Booya? I believe it originated in Canada but it is very popular in Minnesota, it is a stew made with chicken, beef, barley, cabbage, corn, kohlrabi, carrots, celery, onions, potatoes, green beans, ox tails, and plenty of spices. We cook it overnight in large, cast iron kettles over an open flame. Unfortunately, someone must stay up all night stirring the mix of Meat and water to form the base and remove the meat from the bones. The mixture is stirred with a canoe paddle. Our fall evenings can get a bit chilled so the poor guy who stays up all night has to suffer by drinking free beer and hanging out by the warm fire with a bunch of joke telling friends. Boy, I did some of this work for a few years at one location where the booya was used as a fund raiser. It's a tough job but someone has to do it. The location where we prepared this delicousy is about 50 miles north of Minneapolis/Saint Paul, and is on a site with rustic cabins on a lake. There is lots of dancing and food. My wife's family is Czechoslovakian and belongs to a social organization based on Czech heritage, called a "sokol". The organizations were originally started in the villages of what is now "The Czech republic", and "Slovakia". They would do physical training and other preparation to try to resist their Russian invaders. There are lots of interesting customs in these lands, one of which is the keeping of a live carp in the bathtub for consumption as the Christmas meal. MMMMMMMM, can't wait!
Jeff Armstrong,