[bct] Re: eyes!

  • From: "Lois Goodine" <al419@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 18:03:51 -0800

Dana.  I've just heard your life/career cast.  A remarkable and interesting
story.  Among other assets, you have a great radio voice!  And I have another
eye story.  Some time gback, some organization or other wanted verification of
my  permanent blindness.  I have a complete ophthalmologist's  report.  So I
sent that to the powers that be, or were.  But they wouldn't be satisfied until
I went to a physician and had him or her sign their silly form.  I live in a
semi-rural area and that meant I had to find transportation to their recommended
physician.  When I walked into his office, he said something like, "How much
vision do you have in your left eye?"  I said I was totally blind in both eyes.
He wasn't listening to a word I said.  He seemed rather distracted and
disinterested.  He replied, "but how much  do you see out of it?"  I was
disgusted with the whole proceeding and took out my left eye, handed it to him
and said, "Here!  Check it out!  How much  do _you see out of it?"  He looked at
it for a few seconds, handed it back and said, "now how about your right eye?
How much do you see with it?"  I raised my hand to remove that one and said, "Do
you want to try that one, too?"  He finally said, "okay.  I'll have the form
signed and mailed right away."  And I left his office without a goodbye, good
day, thank you, or anything else.  And he probably got a pretty fair fee for
that nonsense.
Good luck with ACTION, Dana.  I wish you well.  And I hope we soon hear more
podcasts from you.   By athe way,  You mentioned being partially sighted as
opposed to being legally blind.  The latter term has always jogged something in
my brain and I once told some official  that I had never considered doing it
illegally.  He didn't find it funny.  But I honestly don't think he got it.
Some of the terminology used on us is ridiculous, or at least amusing sometimes.
Lois Goodine.