[bct] everything.

  • From: "jeff" <j1armstrong@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "blind cool tech mail list" <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 16:19:36 -0600

Wow!, Hi everyone,

I can barely keep up with reading the emails and feel like I'm forgetting things I want to remember that people say. Anyway, Hi to Sabrina, my best advise would be to try to identify other blind people in your area by looking in the white pages for any organizations at all that deal with blind folks. I have quite a large group of friends who are blind and they help with the depression greatly. Nobody wants to hear this, but there are some of us who never get to get off the medication. It's amazing to me but a very high percentage of blind people I know are on or have been on anti-depressants and most won't share that info until you really get to know them well. There is such a stigma attached to the disorder. Mine really got bad when I moved up north and experienced the really short days of this time of year. I know that Florida has many good organizations like the FL branch of the USABA (United States Association of Blind Athletes). I used to belong to the Indiana branch and also to the Blind Bowling League, and the NBBA (National Beep Baseball Association). The blind athletic organizations gave me opportunities to travel and see the country. Other than that, places like this on the internet are great for us to talk to each other and gain new friends with many great ideas and points of view.

Lisa, I've been to Austin twice and San Antonio once. Man that is a pretty town. The RiverWalk and the Alamo and the other attractions in that town are great. I love music, especially rock and country, and Austin is a music lover's paradise. 6th street was a total blast. I lost count of the number of clubs there with live music. Do you know, "Rose of San Antone"? I have a version by "Asleep At The Wheel". That's a cool song that brings back memories of the town.

Welcome Chris, did you guys have that big power outage in the summer of 03?

Also welcome to James and Marsha, Kelli and everyone else, hope I didn't miss anyone but I probably did.

Jeff Armstrong,