[bct] Re: dsl and fibor optics

  • From: "Kai" <kaixiong@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 00:02:13 -0800

Greetings John.

Fiber-optics use a "glass" wire, and uses light wave technology to send
data through that line. That means that, unless they actually run a
fiber-optic cable to your home, you'll still be bound to standard copper
wiring.
If they have to rewire you in order to make it work, you stand to lose
money to pay for the installation at the outset (unless they've got some
special free installation package going on).
Fiber-optic technology, while not completely new, is still not as well
integrated and accepted as DSL and cable (these wires are already there
in most homes).

Until fiber-optics becomes more ubiquitous, I would remain with your
cable provider. Sales pitches are what they are, and you should never
even consider agreeing to anything until you can get access to their
licenses, agreements, and limitations.

Kai