[bct] dreams podcast.

  • From: "jeff" <j1armstrong@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "blind cool tech mail list" <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 21:43:26 -0600

Larry,

Mary Kaye said something interesting about "child sighted guide", today. She noted that part of the guiding process has to take place anyway. That is to say that you want to get your young child to hold your hand anyway for their own safety so the two things go hand in hand, pun intended.

I also see in my dreams and still have many which are so real to me, in which I get my vision back. Sometimes when I wake, I have to face the window to make sure it wasn't real. I guess it's a hard thing to get one's brain to accept.

When I had cataract surgery, and received a lens implant, I thought they screwed up the surgery because my brain could only tell that there was light and color but couldn't make sense of the images. After a day or so, I had sort of trained my brain to accommodate the new input and could make sense of the vision again. In my right, totally blind, eye, I see some kind of video noise. There are flashes of light and a low level of something similar to what you called "shimmering". I can't tell if it is eye centered or brain centered. By the way, my wife says that I have developed the nose of a dog. Well, that's obviously an exaggeration but I can smell tons of things very easily, more so since my vision has decreased.

   I never carry a cane in my dreams, I usually fly to get around.

I doubt if I would ever start my own podcast as I am far more comfortable writing than speaking my thoughts.

   Did you get my playing in the snowstorm recording?  Let me know.

Jeff Armstrong,