[bct] Re: dreams.

  • From: "Rose Combs" <rosecombs@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 00:35:07 -0700

My grandfather died when I was fourteen, not the best time in anyone's life.
He used to visit in my dreams and I could tell him a nagging problem and he
would help me to figure a way to fix it, if I did as he suggested in the
dream it worked just fine, he did not help me with math class, I mean life's
problems, he would have no clue how to help me with Algebra--too bad too,
since I did so terrible at it.

As to the religion/church issues.  I spent much of my childhood listening to
sermons on the radio with my invalid grandmother.  Two things happened
however that were odd.

First, when I was six someone took me to church with them on Easter Sunday,
an evangelistic church, a holy roller type.  The preacher yelled all morning
about hell and fire and for about three months after that I refused to go to
church with anyone and I dreamed about fire a lot.

The second incident was a lot different.  My grandmother was pretty much an
invalid, did not leave home much except to go to the clinics she visited.
Some church folks paid her visits often.  I must have been around five and
it was summer because I was home whenever these ladies appeared and they
kept telling me that if I were a good little girl that some day God would
allow me to see.

Now, I don't know why but I figured Sunday would be the day God would grant
this wish to me so every Sunday morning I'd wake up hoping that when I got
out of bed my world would be different, I don't know what seeing really is
but I just knew that I'd know if I could see.

The summer passed and all week I tried so hard to be good, to pick up my
toys, to offer to help my grandma with something, (she had an old treadle
sewing machine, she wanted to sew but was too weak to operate it so she
taught me to at first run the pedal, then to actually sew on it).  I tried
to help Grandpa by sweeping the floors, drying dishes, whatever I could
think of to be exceptionally good.  One Sunday in August I was out in the
yard crying so hard that my grandma came out to see what was wrong, her
coming outside at all must have been difficult for her, but, she did and I
finally told her that no matter how good I was God would not let me see.
She had never realized that what her church lady friends were telling me
was, a truth for me.

I have been to churches since then, but not recently.  I have some faith,
but not to the degree that many folks do.  I don't know if I was more hurt
to realize that God did not really notice my plight or to discover that
those ladies were mor or less lying to me.

Anyway, after that I was still good most of the time but I was a child who
was usually in to mischief.

Rose Combs