[bct] Re: descriptive video and a couple other things

  • From: "kelli finger" <kellifinger2@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2005 10:28:25 -0500

From: Tim Cross <tcross@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [bct] Re: descriptive video and a couple other things
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 18:42:04 +1100

I find the arguments regarding things like beeping road crossing signals being bad because we would become too dependent on them ridiculous. It seems these sorts of arguments are often dragged out when talking about people with a disability. However, if we argued that zebra crossings and traffic lights were bad for the sighted because they would become too dependent on them and wouldn't be able to cross the street without them, we would be told we were being silly.

The obvious point is that traffic lights are expensive and they are
only put in when the volume of traffic requires it. Surely it follows
that if sighted drivers and pedestrians require assistance to navigate
busy roads, why shouldn't we!

I agree with the stance that we spend a lot of our lives adjusting to
a sighted world and if its no big impact for the sighted world to
adjust for our needs, why the hell shouldn't it.

Tim I completely agree with you. Wayne STate University is located in Detroit. It is right in the city and I love it. The traffic is in some places crazy and at times I think dangerous. Even with a dog it is still nuts. I really think that there should be beeping signals just as there are traffic signals. I think that I will write a proposal someday to have it be manditory for every corner to have them.
Take care,