[bct] Re: descriptive video and a couple other things

  • From: Tim Cross <tcross@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 18:42:04 +1100

I find the arguments regarding things like beeping road crossing
signals being bad because we would become too dependent on them
ridiculous. It seems these sorts of arguments are often dragged out
when talking about people with a disability. However, if we argued
that zebra crossings and traffic lights were bad for the sighted
because they would become too dependent on them and wouldn't be able
to cross the street without them, we would be told we were being
silly.

The obvious point is that traffic lights are expensive and they are
only put in when the volume of traffic requires it. Surely it follows
that if sighted drivers and pedestrians require assistance to navigate
busy roads, why shouldn't we!

I agree with the stance that we spend a lot of our lives adjusting to
a sighted world and if its no big impact for the sighted world to
adjust for our needs, why the hell shouldn't it.

Tim