[bct] Re: descriptive video and a couple other things

  • From: "Jake Joehl" <jajoehl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 22:10:52 -0600

This is so great that we're actually discussing things in a nice way, and
not flaming each other for it like some people I knew, well sort of knew.
Here is my stance on descriptive video. I think it is an excellent service.
I myself own tons of movies with audio description, and I've been to a few
movies that had audio description. I cannot understand the NFB's thinking on
this issue. Basically what they're saying, I think, is that if we ask for
audio description, we're only hurting ourselves. I don't get it. Same with
accessible pedestrian signals and truncated domes. Someone on another list
said that these two things can come in very handy not only for visually
impaired people, but also people with learning disabilities and problems
with depth perception. I completely agree. I have talked about this with a neighbor and one of her sons who is disabled, as well as others in Center for Independent Futures. Nobody can understand the NFB's thinking on these issues.