[bct] Re: descriptive video and a couple other things

  • From: "boomerdad" <boomerdad@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 19:23:50 -0800

Well, I can at least understand, if not completely agree with, the NFB stance on pedestrian signals. As I understand it, their feeling is that if a person relies on the sound of the signal, s/he won't rely on traffic cues, and then if the signal is ever broken or malfunctioning, the person won't know how to cross the street effectively. I suspect the other issue is similar to the stance on descriptive video, as I understand it: it's another example of sighted people adapting to the blind person.

I sort of agree with the first stance, but the second is ludicrous in my not-so-humble opinion. Frankly, my feeling (a bit arrogant though it may be, and I've made my peace with that), I spend so much of my energy and time adapting to a sighted world, if it has to adapt to my needs once in a while, so be it.

As one who experienced a broken beeping signal, if I didn't have a decent grasp on traffic sounds, I would've been in real trouble. I think it's a question of balance, like almost everything else in life. If you depend too much on any one thing, you're bound to be introuble at one time or another.