[bct] Re: descriptive video and a couple other things

  • From: "Mary Emerson" <maryemerson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 19:17:06 -0800

Hi all,
In addition to descriptive video, I've always had trouble with NFB's position on pedestrian signals. I need any help I can get if I need to cross a street; being deaf on one side, everything sounds like it's coming out of the sky. I've been knocked down by a milk truck, and once a car knocked me down, and I've come close a few other times, even had my cane run over but fortunately it didn't break so I was ok, but I think common sense and using any tools we can have available is much more sensible than just saying sound signals should be banned completely. In fact, in some places the lights even have vibrations so people with hearing loss can tell when to cross, although if there's a right on red law in effect, it could still be dangerous because that's how the milk truck hit me; I had the light and he was turning right. He was on my deaf side so I had no idea he was there.

I know I'm missing out on all the stereo effects on the podcasts, but I'm thankful to be able to hear what I can with my stereo set to monaural. When I send podcasts up to BCT I use headphones and listen with the left channel on my good side, then turn the headphones around to hear the other channel on my good side so at least I know things are getting sent up with both channels and about the same volume. I hope it sounds reasonably decent.