[bct] creation science

  • From: <maryemerson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bct" <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 15:34:32 -0800

Just expressing an opinion here, not trying to get into a debate. You are, of
course, entitled to believe as you do.

I am a Christian who has trouble with creation science; I have mentioned to Dan
that I believe it is a contradiction in terms. Mike, I respect your views, but
due to the nature of time and space, the theory of relativity, and the speed of
light, I doubt the universe is only four thousand years old. I think that date
was arbitrarily chosen in the nineteenth century by certain theologians, based
on limited knowledge at the time. I have never yet heard a Christian
paleontologist or astrophysicist expound on creation science; I have only heard
theologians discuss it. I would very much like to hear a Christian physicist
discuss his or her feelings on the subject. I am one who believes there is a
gap in time (to whatever extent time can be defined before it could be
measured) between Genesis chapter 1 verse 1 and chapter 1 verse 2. For that
matter, Genesis chapter 1 could have conceivably had gaps in the times between
its events, because it does not specifically say when things happened. For that
matter, the Gregorian calendar isn't the most precise, accurate way of
measuring time. I do not believe we should be putting limits on when God did
one thing or another, or confining creation and the earth's age to a few
thousand years; it makes God too small, when, in fact, He is far more vast than
humans can conceive Him to be.

As I have previously done, I recommend Gerald Schroeder's book, The Science of
God; he is a Jewish physicist who believes that, due to the nature of the
theory of relativity and the way time and space interact, that creation could
have occurred at the "Big Bang" in a (relative) twenty-four-hour period; and, I
conjecture, the various events that happened in a "day" during the six days of
creation could have happened in twenty-four-hour periods which changed
according to how far back in time we're talking about. The nature of time and
space changes the farther back you go.

I suspect in ten years or so, the thoughts surrounding all this will have to
change, because our knowledge isn't perfect by any means. But I really would
like to see some practicing scientists back up creation science; specifically
in the fields of paleontology, physics, and astronomy.