[bct] Re: coffee machines

  • From: The Scarlet Wombat <coconut@xxxxxxx>
  • To: blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 13:04:47 -0500

Thanks Joni. As I recall, I promised a list of necessary gadgets and thingies...gotta use those highly specialized technical terms, you know.

Here is what you need to do the espresso/cappuccino thing.

Freshly roasted coffee beans, meaning roasted less than a week ago, I get mine from coffeebeandirect.com

Heavy duty burr coffee grinder designed for espresso, many brands will do, used ones are a great deal.

Espresso machine, Solis, Gaggia, Rancilio, Isomac, Expobar...many brands, prices range from $200 to $5,000.

Airtight containers for coffee beans

7 gram scoop for measuring out enough beans for a shot of espresso

espresso cups for both drinking and pulling the shot into.

Extra filter baskets for the espresso machine so you can do several shots for people in a row without washing out the filter basket each time.

A couple of plastic trays for working over so you don't make a total mess out of the kitchen, you will make a minor mess as it is.

Scotch [that's for me and Neal]

metal cappuccino milk steaming pitcher, 12 ounce for singles, 20 ounce for doubles and lattes

Tamper to compact the ground coffee into something resembling a hockey puck in the filter basket before pulling the espresso shot

Scotch again, gotta make sure of the quality

Extra towells and sponges for keeping things clean as you go

good water...not distilled...I understand Mary has good water [grin]

That about does it, oh yes, almost forgot, a wee dram more Scotch.

Dan