[bct] Re: coffee machines

  • From: "Stuart Russell" <rstuart3@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 01:03:41 -0800

Greetings Paula. For frothing the milk, I use a metal pitcher available from companies that sell espresso machines. I fill the pitcher about 1/3 full. This leaves the level of the milk slightly below my extended finger.
There is quite an art to milk frothing. In fact some folks create artful designs in the froth.
You might want to read some of the articles & forums at http://www.coffeegeek.com
There is even a coffeegeek podcast.
Okay, back to the process of frothing the milk. What I do is place the nozzle in the pitcher & wait about 15 seconds, or until the milk is warm. Then I begin the process of gradually withdrawing the pitcher. As the foam is created, you can pull back the pitcher. At the start of the process you may hear a rather unpleasant screaming sound. Once the milk is heated & the pitcher is withdrawn, the sound
will decrease in frequency. You may have heard folks order their coffee drinks "extra hot." Since the coffee comes out of the machine at a fixed temperature, the only way to make it hotter is to increase the temperature of the milk. Be careful with this. A warm but not hot coffee drink is pleasant but scalded milk will taste bitter.
Have fun with your new espresso machine.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Paula Waby" <paulawaby@xxxxxxxxxx>