[bct] coffee components

  • From: Scott Howell <s.howell@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 22:32:50 -0500

Ok Dan, being as you seem to ahve this coffee thing down, a couple of questions. First I see the better Espresso makers have a pump instead of the little bugger I have that has to heat and build pressure. Is that common and does the pump just mean you can make more coffee frequently, takes less time to build pressure, or both. I tend to like larger cups of coffee, these little shots aren't my thing, just not enough. Yeha, call me a power drinker, not shots here...grin.
Also where is a good place to get machines, tampers which I don't have, and pitchers which I don't have either. I doubt my local Walmart will have some of this and probably none of it, well not true, they will have the most basic machines. Also what would I expct to pay for a decent machine, not the super high-end stuff, but something decent enough I can get some life out of it or I should say years.
Finally, have you ever roasted your own beans? I've considered this, but well that is probably an art I'm not ready for. Personally I don't get to drink the good stuff as much as I'd like, but I'm think of getting a better grinder and start buying beans in bulk if you will and grinding my own. Ah, also what does one expect to pay for a decent grinder. I have a burr grinder, but honestly, I don't like using it, its really loud, I mean it sounds like its running about the speed of a jet engine to make up for its small size and man the mess it makes with its removable basket.
And thank you for the great pod cast, I might get my wife drinking espresso yet.
Scott