[bct] Re: changing business world

  • From: "Mary Emerson" <maryemerson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 12:04:28 -0800

I hope things work out for the best for you. I almost got laid off in June; this was after I had volunteered to go on leave. My manager stood up to upper management and told them that what I was planning wasn't hurting the company or costing them anything; he also said if I went to court over being laid off, Personnel would back me up and not back up management's decision; upper management checked, and verified, that my boss was correct, so they backed down, and some other poor soul was let go. As it turns out, when I left, somebody else in my group was fortunate to be able to keep their job. I suppose the strategy was to get rid of someone in my group, regardless of who it was. It didn't matter that everyone else would suffer with a heavier work load.

As has been said, it's a cold, hard world out there; you either sink or swim. It doesn't matter so much if you look good or show up on time; what matters is whether you can hit the ground running, and be productive from the get-go. If you have to learn something, you learn it on your own time. And you may not be paid overtime either.

Mary Emerson
E-mail: maryemerson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Skype name: mkemerson
Podcast feed: emerson.libsyn.com/rss