[bct] Re: changing business world

  • From: The Scarlet Wombat <coconut@xxxxxxx>
  • To: blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 20:41:59 -0500

Curt, being a student of history, I gently disagree. There may have seemed to an observer to have been a time when people were more honest, but a bit of digging will put pate to this belief. There were no good old days of any kind. Human nature has remained the same for hundreds of thousands of years.

Sometimes, people think that the fifties and sixties were a more gentle age, but they were only a more secretive age, not more gentle. People working in the social fields will tell you readily that the rates of spousal and child abuse have remained the same for at least a hundred years, probably longer, but we know for sure nothing has changed since Jane Hull founded the modern science of social work.

We have more people now, and thankfully, people are more willing to explore unsavory habits of humans. This exposure may result in diminishment of these problems. Remember the days of the robber barons of the 19th century, they were every bit as bad in terms of business as we see today in corporate America.

I do not mean to cast a pall on the discussion, but I must note that the human condition has never been better than it is now, nor much worse, either. One hopes that we can improve. Because, if we do not, one day, we may find that we have destroyed our planet and ourselves along with it.