[bct] Re: changing business world

  • From: "Ray Foret Jr." <rforetjr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 20:57:06 -0600

Dan, let me tell you something.  You are SOOOOOOOO right.  I originally was
not going to contribute to this thread;
Now however, I find I do have something to say after all.

    Back when I was working for Marriott in the late 90's in Omaha, I was
finally able to work my way up to customer service after slogging through
the pressure cooker of a sales floor.  "At last", I thought to myself, "a
real chance to contribute meaningfully to society and help people with their
problems.".  boy, was I wrong or what.  I get their only to discover that
the main corporate offices shared many of the same computer systems we used
up in customer service; and, among the other things that meant, it also
meant that when ever the corporate people filed their reports on weekends,
it would shut us out of the system and we couldn't access hardly anything or
help people.  I had to document every call in Braille, and then, come in on
Monday and put all that documentation in to the computer.  A hard and fast
rule was that we ALWAYS had to document every call we took.  One day,
another rep passed me by as I was documenting a call and he asked what I
thought I was doing.  "I'm documenting this call and putting it in to the
computer." I said,

    "taking calls is more important." he replied.
    More than once, I had been come down on for taking too long on calls.  I
learned, to my consternation that the goal which the corporate office had
for us was to take as many calls a as possible.  This, as you might imagine,
did not fulfill what I always took to be the proper goal of customer
service; namely, to see to it that one did everything in his power to
satisfy the customer.  No.  The emphasis MUST be placed on getting rid of a
call as fast as you can; so they said.

    Add to all that this.  The people over at Marriott referred to us blind
employees, (what few of us there were) as VI's.  When I got demoted for
having the flu in 1999, I finally went to the human resources department in
an effort to better my situation.  Did I succeed? Why, of course not.  Worse
yet, I could not obtain the help or support of any of the other blind people
working there.  One person can only fight  for so long a time; you know.  I
finally came to the conclusion that there was only one thing to do; return
home.  So, I did.

Sincerely yours,
The Constantly Barefoot,
Home phone and fax: