[bct] changing business world

  • From: Tim Cross <tcross@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 00:36:00 +1100

Hi Mary,

Yes, its all a bit sad. something will have to break in the end.
Unfortunately, a lot of people are going to get the short straw before
it does.

The management speak you mention is something that really anoys me as
well. We call them weasel words. The other day, a friend of mine made
everyone (except a couple of humorless managers) laugh in a meeting.

please note, this next part contains a swear word, so stop here if you
are easily offended by bad language.

He played a game called bullshit bingo. You play the game by going to
a meeting with a card divided up into boxes like a bingo sheet. Each
of you have different cards just like in bingo. However, instead of
numbers, each square has a weasel word written in it. Each time
somebody uses one of the weasel words, you cross it off. The first one
to get a cross through all their squares then has to jump up and shout
"bullshit"

Its not popular with most managers, but the rest of us find it
something to get us past all the rubbish. Personally, I get through by
using mangled mixed metaphores - for example, when asked last week how
I was planning on dealing with a possible problem in the project I'm
working on, I said "We will burn that bridge when we come to it". Its
one way of telling if anyone is actually listening.

Tim