[bct] buying an iriver

  • From: "David Lepofsky" <dlepofsky@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 15:09:01 -0500

hi all,
I want to buy a good digital recorder to record lectures, speeches, etc, with good quality. after listening to all the excellent podcasts on bct my preference is for the Iriver IFP 799 or 899. I prefer them over the much-touted Olympus 320 only because they will record in mp3, while the olympus only records in WMA.

I will most often use the files it records on my plextalk or my bookport. I don't want to have to convert each file i record from WMA to MP3. otherwise i would just go get the olympus because larry and others speak so highly about it.
i also like having a radio on board in case i want to record directly from it, though i can live without that if i have to.

here is the problem. they don't make the IRiver 799 or 899 any more. a few days ago i checked on E-Bay and a few 899 models were listed as refurvished. I have not used E-bay before and am nervous about spending that kind of money from some little-known outfit when it has been used and who knows how good it is.

any suggestions from anyone?