[bct] Re: braille picture of Valentine hearts on the BCT FTP site

  • From: "Mary Emerson" <maryemerson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2006 04:18:45 -0800

The book used to be available from the guild for the blind in Chicago, but they
haven't sold it for years. They had a large collection of these books; the one
I use most of the time is called So What About Drawing? The author was a very
enthusiastic fan of using the shapes of braille characters to draw pictures.
There is another book I have that has two-handed pictures, and another manual
for teachers, parents and older children. The whole point was to help children
of all ages learn to be creative, and although the books were targeted to
children, anybody could use them. It is such a shame that these things aren't
available any more. I think American Printing House has some pre-literacy books
but I don't know about them. It all comes down to learning to be creative.