[bct] Re: braille display

  • From: Buddy Brannan <buddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 15:54:50 -0500

On Jan 4, 2006, at 1:50 PM, Mary Emerson wrote:

One thing is for sure: the prices have not come down much.

Well, that's not entirely true. Where just a couple years ago the cheapest 40-character braille display one could find (the RBT-40, so- called "Rabbit") cost $4995, maybe as little as $4600, a 40-character display can be had from Freedom Giantific or from Optellec for $3495, a couple G's less than those same displays cost in 2003 or 2004--I want to say the price reductions came about early lst year. While this is still out of reach for most mere mortal blind people (like me, for instance), the price reduction hasn't gone unnoticed. Of course, it proves a thing or two in my mind. I'd like to see even cheaper braille displays and, indeed, new braille display technology being developed and used to make better and cheaper displays: the mechanics of how these things work hasn't changed significantly for at least 20 years.

You might check out the Braille Voyager at www.otellec.com as I mentioned.

--
Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV       | Work from home the Watkins way!
Email: buddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx   | Your phone and computer can really pay!