[bct] Re: blind people are bitches fuckers ass holes shit suckers poop lovers whores pricks niggers garbage

  • From: Tim Cross <tcross@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2006 16:41:27 +1100

Will,

I don't think you should blame the moderators - firstly, this list is
not a moderated list in the traditional sense where all messages are
vetted prior to posting. The volume of posts to this list makes that
impossible. Secondly, what do you expect the moderators to do. If you
have some constructive suggestions, then lets hear them. If not,
either accept that people are doing the best they can to deal with it
or unsubscribe.

The bottom line is that from a technical standpoint, it is very
difficult to have a list which is easy to post to, has only a
reasonable maintenance load and can somehow prevent posts of an
offensive nature. Like it or not, e-mail is not a secure medium - keep
in mind the whole e-mail infrastructure was developed at a time when
security, cracking and threats were pretty much non-existent. The
e-mail protocol (SMTP) was not designed with a defensive approach as
this was not an issue back then.

It should also be noted that this issue and the problems with spam are
very closely related. A big part of the problem is the fact there are
far too many badly configured mail servers out there which allow
anyone to use them to relay mail. There are also a growing number of
places, especially in countries with low socio-economic status, which
are prepared to allow anyone to do anything with there systems/servers
for an appropriate fee.

With respect to the new list, which I haven't subscribed to yet, while
you can certainly setup a list which requires passwords to change your
subscription status, there is unlikely to be much difference unless
the new list moderator is prepared to fully moderate all posts. This
wuould be a very time consuming job. Its quite likely that all the new
list would give us is protection from being unsubscribed. It would be
possible to a certain extent to setup a list which would restrict
where subscribers were allowed to post from, but this can be
problematic for some people - especially those who have an ISp which
gives them dynamic IP adresses, have load balanced/clustered mail
servers which may report different IP addresses or for people who want
to post to the list from different locations, such as home and work.

The best you can really do is setup filters and mail sorting rules
plus protect your system from the words which eloquence cannot handle.
Apart from that, either live with the problem or forget about mailing
lists. Not a perfect solution, but its not a perfect world.

Also, don't expect there will be any substantive legal action taken
against this person even if we can identify them. for one thing,
identifying them and proving it is going to be difficult, but not
impossible. However, we don't even know what country this person is
doing this from. If their country of origin doesn't have the
appropriate laws to prosecute, there is little that can be done and
even if the laws do exist, getting the necessary coordination between
the various authorities can be very problematic.

Given the type of stuff this boy has been doing (I do suspect he is a
boy) and the fact it takes next to no real skill to do, the best thing
we can do is not react. I don't agree with Rick's perspective
concerning fighting back because there is little we can do except sink
into the same name calling routine as he is doing. If this boy doesn't
see people complaining about what his actions are doing or reporting
how he has crashed their Jaws/computer, getting upset at the language
he uses etc, he will get very bored and just go away. The reaction is
what he is after.

Ntoe also that while it is hard to identify this person, the longer he
continues, the greater the chance we have of identifying him. Therre
are a number of things happening which will not be reported on this
list as we don't want him to become aware of what is going on, its
just sufficient to say that he has made a couple of mistakes and now
there are some quite well funded and resourced groups who have become
interested as he has somewhat muddied their reputation. The longer
this boy continues, the better the chance he will get some well
deserved consequences. In the meantime, just ignore his purile
immature taunts as they are actually quite harmless and pointless.

Tim