[bct] binaural mike mystery solved!

  • From: "boomerdad" <boomerdad@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 05:37:17 -0800

Okay, this may be verrrrry old news, but I solved the mystery of the Sound
Professional binaural mikes and how they're supposed to be worn.

My wife told me there is a picture on the front of the envelope containing the
mikes that shows them being worn like glasses.  I remembered the discussions we
had about wearing them in the ear and thought "Odd."

So then I tested them, wearing them like glasses, with the mikes facing
forward.  (By the way, nearly jumped out of my skin listening to the test
recording, because at one poitn my wife called to me from the bedroom down the
hall, and I swear, I nearly shouted "What?" and at the last millisecond before
the word left my lips I remembered it was the recording.  This at 64kpbs, yet!)
 I realized that the positioning was off.  Her voice was coming from behind me
to the right, when it should've been coming from somewhere around one o'clock.
And then I felt my ears and realized that I could solve this and make it work
with the picture shown by wearing the mikes like glasses, but having the mikes
facing out, behind me.  Worked like a charm.  Everything was where it was
supposed to be in the sound stage, and I didn't have to worry about giving up
some of my hearing.

So yes, maybe this is old *old* news, but hey, it was a discovery for me, and I
thought I'd share it with you.

'Til next time...

Feel the power...
Wield the magic!...