[bct] Re: binaural mics

  • From: "Neal Ewers" <neal.ewers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 10:05:27 -0600

Ray, I believe the problem with the door closing on Larry's podcast was
not the fault of the mikes but in stead the fault of the limiter he was
using on his recorder.  I'm not sure what recorder he was using, but you
could really hear the limiter.  The same thing happened whenever a loud
truck or bus went by.  The limiter tries to turn down the microphone
level to compensate for the loud sounds, but because the mikes he was
using were rather loud, the limiter was not able to turn the record
level down low enough and, as a result, there was still some distortion
in the sound.  Although these microphones have drawbacks as any
inexpensive mikes will have, I have made recordings with them in very
loud settings and if the levels are manually set correctly on a recorder
that allows you to do this, the sound comes out quite nicely.  This is
my only complaint of some of the Olympus recorders.  In my experience,
their limiters were mostly put in to deal with the human voice and they
don't always do a good job with really loud sounds.  And, although I
have not played with all of them, I don't believe many if any of them
give you the option of recording with a manual volume level.  This is
not meant to bad mouth the Olympus recorders, it's just an attempt to
answer your question as I see it.