[bct] Re: binaural mics?

  • From: Steve Matzura <number6@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 04:40:38 -0400

Hi, Sarah:

On Thu, 25 May 2006 11:15:29 -0700, you wrote:

>I was wondering since the mics are placed in your ear, won't your
>voice be muffleled or at east very very loud because of that bone that runs
>up to your ear?

Your own voice definitely comes out sounding a bit different than it
would if you were speaking into the microphone front, the pickup part.
The human head is an excellent sound boundary-maker, for lack of a
better word--meaning, sounds on one side of you don't get picked up by
the other side's ear, and so it is with the microphone.  It's just
something you have to get used to.  But for all that, the sound of the
recording you get from sounds produced by other things than your own
voice is quite phenomenal.  A perfect example of this is Ray "Ray's
World" Wels's recording when he demonstrated his CSB's on a recent
recording.  The microphone he used for narration before and after the
CSB demo gave his voice much more "presence," if you will, than the
CSB's did.Just the same, when Larry did a walking tour of his
property, I could hear birds, railroad trains, gate latches, etc., all
betterthan I could hear Larry himself.  I think this has more to do
with microphone placement than anything else. If the mics were placed
on lapels or shirt collars, they might pick up the wearer's voice a
lot better than they do when placed in ears (a la the earbud mics) or
clippsed to eyeglass retainers or some other thing.