[bct] Re: auto play cds

  • From: "Rick Harmon" <rickharmon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 17:57:15 -0500

Hi,

Look at this, hope it helps you.

Contrary to what you may have heard from the RIAA, burning a CD-R or CD-RW is
not restricted to music pirates. In many business situations, the burned CD
is the best way to distribute information to a target audience. For
communications involving PowerPoint presentations, HTML, PDF forms, Flash
animations,
or a number of other applications, the portable and durable CD has become a
common delivery method.

The compact disc drive autoplay feature, common to most operating systems, is a
good way to simplify user experience. Autoplay is controlled by a simple
text-only file called autorun.inf. While there are dozens of software
utilities
available that will help you create the file, all you really need is a text
editor and some basic knowledge.

Solution 1

The basic configuration of the autorun.inf starts the program to run when the
CD is inserted in the drive, and the icon to display when the disc is viewed
by Windows Explorer or other directory listing software. The text-only file,
which resides in the root directory of the CD, should look like this:
[autorun]
open=myprogram.exe
icon=myicon.ico

The icon file should also reside in the root directory of the CD.

Variations

Often the program you want to run will not be located in the root directory of
the CD. If that is the case you must include the path:
[autorun]
open=folder1\folder1A\myfile.exe
icon=myicon.ico

Sometimes you may need to pass an argument to the program to be autoplayed:
[autorun]
open=myprogram.exe /argument
icon=myicon.ico

Not a program

Sending customers, salespeople, investors, and employees presentations, PDF
files, and HTML documents requires a slight variation to the basic autorun.inf
file and the addition of a DOS batch file to the CD root directory. The
autorun.inf file opens a batch file, which then opens the file using the default
program designated for that file type. For example:
[autorun]
open=autorun.bat index.htm
icon=myicon.ico

And the autorun.bat file reads:
echo off
@start %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9
@exit

Using the autorun.inf file to autoplay your burned CDs will prevent another
headache for your users and increase the likelihood of reaching your target
audience. And because it is a simple text file, it can be created with a text
editor and your normal disc-burning software.

=======

Contact Information:

Skype ID: rharmon928
MSN ID: rharmon928@xxxxxxxxxxx