[bct] Re: answers to a couple questions

  • From: "LARRY SKUTCHAN" <lskutchan@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2005 13:40:18 -0500

Hi Mary.  I don't know what others are doing, but when I encode to mp3
from the ws200s, I use 64 kbps, because that is all the information
there is and using a higher setting will do no good at all and may even,
as you suggest, sound worse.  Having said all that, if you wish to send
a submission to bct, it is fine to leave it in its native format.  That
actually leaves me a little more flexibility.

>>> maryemerson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Wednesday, November 02, 2005 12:33:10 PM

Dana,

I use My Computer's view, but I do like Explorer's tree view for
finding relationships of files to folders or finding subfolders within
folders. I can use it either way.

Somebody asked where to get a WS320 recorder online. I ordered mine
from Amazon even though they're not shipping yet; another possibility is
soundprofessionals.com. They may have it, and they may not; it may be
too early for you to see it on their site, but they certainly have a
nice variety of microphones to choose from. There are other places
mentioned on this list that others can suggest too. Not sure if Best Buy
or one of those stores has it listed yet. I am anxious to get mine, just
because I would love the 1 gig storage. I have the book in accessible
format (it's a PDF file from the Olympus site.) There is a switch on the
side that allows you to choose between MP3 and recorder mode, but
apparently when you go to MP3, some of the menu items change, so we need
to be careful of that. The 320 may be able to play MP3 files while in
recorder mode though; if that's true, then there won't be much need to
use the player switch, although it boosts the frequency response up to
20,000 hertz instead of about 15,000.

Now I have a question for those using the WS200 recorder for podcasts:

When you convert a 64-bit recording from WMA to MP3, do you keep the
bit rate at 64? It would seem to me that if you converted it to 128KBPS
in MP3, that it would try to over-compensate for what's not really
there. People's recordings of the WS200 sounded fine so I just wondered
if you just did a straight convert with sampling rate of 44,000 and bit
rate of 64.

Mary