[bct] answers to a couple questions

  • From: "Mary Emerson" <maryemerson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 09:33:10 -0800

I use My Computer's view, but I do like Explorer's tree view for finding
relationships of files to folders or finding subfolders within folders. I can
use it either way.

Somebody asked where to get a WS320 recorder online. I ordered mine from Amazon
even though they're not shipping yet; another possibility is
soundprofessionals.com. They may have it, and they may not; it may be too early
for you to see it on their site, but they certainly have a nice variety of
microphones to choose from. There are other places mentioned on this list that
others can suggest too. Not sure if Best Buy or one of those stores has it
listed yet. I am anxious to get mine, just because I would love the 1 gig
storage. I have the book in accessible format (it's a PDF file from the Olympus
site.) There is a switch on the side that allows you to choose between MP3 and
recorder mode, but apparently when you go to MP3, some of the menu items
change, so we need to be careful of that. The 320 may be able to play MP3 files
while in recorder mode though; if that's true, then there won't be much need to
use the player switch, although it boosts the frequency response up to 20,000
hertz instead of about 15,000.

Now I have a question for those using the WS200 recorder for podcasts:

When you convert a 64-bit recording from WMA to MP3, do you keep the bit rate
at 64? It would seem to me that if you converted it to 128KBPS in MP3, that it
would try to over-compensate for what's not really there. People's recordings
of the WS200 sounded fine so I just wondered if you just did a straight convert
with sampling rate of 44,000 and bit rate of 64.