[bct] Re: adding voiceovers another question

  • From: "Debee Norling" <debee@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2006 15:25:31 -0800

You can pick up a lot of the consumer-grade but higher-quality recording
gear that's now obsolete, like analog mixers, at ham radio swap meets.

We have more than an average number of them here in California, but my
sighted husband says that the calendar in QST has many every month. I don't
think this calendar appears in the recorded edition.

And when we travel, which we do every chance we can afford it, we always
find swap meets in other states.

I actually met my husband that way -- he was a shy engineer at work, and I
was looking for a flea market guide. So I  said to this guy "Hey, want to go
to a ham radio swap meet with me," and he ended up guiding me around and
describing stuff. He wasn't a ham, and after we'd gone to many of these
things, he finally got a big badge with an arrow that pointed to me which
said "she's the ham". But when we got married I made him get his license
because the sign was kind of dumb.

That's off-topic, but the point is that we see tons of recording equipment;
those taskam portastudios for example selling for about $20. Stuff is dusty
but a little 409 cleans it up nicely and you can bring a battery and
inverter to test stuff if you really must. Often you negotiate better if you
can prove the vendor doesn't know if it works or not. Most hams have only
one or two pieces of gear to sell, so they fill out their table with audio
equipment, computers and other electronics.

hams are mostly pretty chatty and are overgrown boy scouts just looking for
people to help. So you can ask your local amateur radio club if they have
someone who can help guide you around and describe stuff. I've been doing
this for years and people who look at my toy collection always think I have
a really good income. Actually, I don't, but I can afford toys because I
typically buy them used.