[bct] Re: adding breakers to the box

  • From: "Clay Jeffcoat" <cjeffcoat2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 22:33:20 -0500

I am new to the list and this topic interested me.  It's not hard, I've done
some of my own electrical wiring myself.  I can see just enough to tell
white from black but not black and red or black and green or red and green.
In a common wiring of something such as a light fixture, I'm pretty good.
If there is any doubt, I'll ask my wife to tell me the colors.

In a typical 220 breaker, you've got either three wires or 4.  In a three
wire setup, you've got black, read or white, and a solid copper.  In a 4
wire setup, you've got black, red, green and solid copper.

What does the 220 breaker feed that you'd like to remove?

In a 4 wire setup, the black and red are both hot and are connected to the
breaker.  A 220 breaker is really two 110 breakers put together.  If you go
and buy one from the store, you'll notice on the back that you've got two
clips side by side on the rear, just like a 110 but double.  The red and
black are hot in the 220 setup.

The breaker box works like this.  You've got what they call a bus at the
rear of the box that all breakers hook to.  From the power company, you've
got two hot 110 lines coming in but they're in opposite phase so that if you
combine them, you've got 220.  If you look at your breaker box at a row of
110 breakers, every other one are in the same phase.  So breaker 1, 3, 5, 7,
9 are in the same phase.  Breaker 2, 4, 6, 8, etc are in opposite phase as
1, 3, 5, 7.  If you have a 220 breaker which is 2 110 side by side, you've
got slots 1 and 2 in one breaker which makes 220.

In the 4 wire setup, red and black are hooked to the breaker, and the green
is hooked to a bus bar for greens and the copper wire is hooked with the
copper wires on another bar.  In the three wire setup, black and white are
hooked to the breaker and the copper is hooked to a bar with the other
coppers from the rest of the house.  That's why in a 220 breaker setup, you
may have two levers that work together, so they will both go on and off at
the same time.  Some 220 breakers only have one lever, but they both trip at
the same time.  If only one tripped and not the other, you'd have 110 going
to a 220 appliance and could possibly burn up the appliance.

If you'd like to email me off list, you can.

If you're going to do the work yourself, I find it best to cut off the main
breaker to the house and do the work.  Just don't mess with anything at the
top of the box!  Please have some sited assistance, voltages can kill you!

I got a talking volt/ohm meter from omega.  This is $350 from what I can
remember, expensive, but I work on antique radios, so it saves the wife some
trouble.  I mainly use it for ohm readings which doesn't involve voltage
being applied to the appliance, mainly to trace circuits and it works great.
I have tested voltages in outlets but you've got to be careful not to touch
the probes when doing this.

Enough f my ramblings, sorry for clogging up the list.

Blind cool tech is great, thanks Larry for all of the great content!