[bct] Re: accessible Ham gear

  • From: Buddy Brannan <buddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 18:03:20 -0500

Hey Scott,

Which rig is that?

I have an Elecraft KX1, which is 40/30/20 meters, with full morse readout. It's a cute little rig, maybe 3"x5"x1.5", all controls are on the top. You have to use it with high gain earbuds, though...and it's a real power miser requiring only about 33 mA on receive.

I also have an Elecraft K2/100, which is also very accessible. More so with the KRC2-AC, which is a nifty little box that provides among other things morse readout of 99.9% of the rig's functions. You can even read the K2's menus, if you press the button to read the display while in the menu. The K2 is really the cat's whiskers if you're a cw op (I'm a cw op myself), and it's also very power conservative. BTW, Elecraft has made a commitment to accessibility as well, and there are lots of guys who will build your kit for you if you're blind. Even if you aren't, actually. No general coverage receive, but the receiver's really hot, especially considering it's a single conversion design. Don't knock it--it really is quite nice, and it's currently my main HF rig. I need to get an antenna up myself, actually, so I'm not on the air right now either.